This study presents viable options for farmer-bred varieties to have the opportunity to be integrated in Vietnam’s seed supply system.
It aims to:
– Document Vietnam’s policy environment on variety and seed certification system.
– Trace the processes which the HD1 variety went through, to become the first farmer-bred variety to pass national seed certification.
– Determine the benefits and costs of obtaining national seed certification.
– Find out the parallel systems of seed certification by farmers.
– Formulate recommendations on alternative systems that may help both farmer-breeders and the government to meet the seed-requirements of farmer-users.